Question: I feel like my boxer can't handle the heat. What can I do to ensure she's comfortable in these hot temperatures?
Answer - It's important to keep your dog cool and hydrated for the following reasons: Dogs are 80% water just like us. They need about an ounce of water per pound of body weight to stay properly hydrated. Dogs sweat only through their feet and by panting - which dries out their mouths so they need water.
There are a few things you can do to ensure your dog is comfortable in this heat.
1. Take walks early in the morning, or in the evening so that you can avoid the hottest temperatures mid-day.
2. Do not under any circumstance leave your dog in your car on a warm day - even just for a few minutes.
3. Bring a water bottle for you and your dog for the walk or play time.
4. Look for signs of overheating – diving into shade, excessive panting, searching for a water. Cut your walk short if your dog is showing any of the signs.
5. Do not give ice cold water is it shocks their system. Cool or room temperature water is best.
6. There are cooling jackets, bandanas, mats and different water bottles and dishes you can buy from your local pet store (Visit Bloomingtails in Byron) they have lots of awesome things to assist with the heat.